Sunday, June 22, 2014

Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce


What better way to celebrate getting married and entering a new decade of life than to start blogging again? 


Strawberry season is so brief here that underripe to utterly perfect to the last mushy dregs can be witnessed in about a week and a half of farmers markets. I buy them and devour them at every stage, but sometimes you need a little extra something to coax the not-quite-ripe batch into fragrant perfection. I'll bet that roasting at 350 for twenty minutes or so with rhubarb and a little honey would even work for supermarket strawberries. Seriously, the smell is transcendent, and fixes every problem that comes with trying to make a strawberry rhubarb sauce on the stovetop. 





While this sauce's ultimate purpose in life is to make a shortcake with savory biscuits (never sweet biscuits or cake), the biscuit recipe I tried this time around was disappointing. I'm experimenting with buttermilk biscuits (after growing up on baking powder biscuits exclusively). I can conclusively say that sugar, even a very small amount, has no place in a biscuit. I suppose I'll just have to make more... 




Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce recipe from Cookies + Kate
This biscuit recipe from Smitten Kitchen
Preferred biscuit recipe from the Southern section of Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment